Monday, May 3, 2010

Listen to the Band

It's been 10 years since I claimed the Monkees was better than the Beatles (an atrocity to most people, I know). I couldn't help but smile when I reminisced last night with my twin sister of these four capricious oddballs chosen to be part of a sitcom/band. While everyone else was getting into the pop sounds of Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, and *NSYNC, I was jamming to Last Train to Clarksville and spending my unoccupied nights on monkeegirl.com. My allowance (earned simply by taking vitamins, exercising, and eating dinner) curtailed quickly from the 12+ albums purchased at Media Play - luckily my sister shared the same appreciation. My poor dad was most likely puzzled having to replace the ink cartridge in no time from something Amy and I covertly created called "The Monkee Binder." Inside included a mini bio of each band member (Davy, Peter, Mike, and Micky), a list of all the show's episodes, lyrics to all songs, a small gallery, and even recipes! Yep, I was definitely smitten by them, enough to where I couldn't wait for the weekend to end just so I could wake up Monday through Friday to watch them in their typical red, 8-button shirts.

P.S. Thank you mom for getting me that autographed Micky Dolenz Monkees lunchbox tin!

P.S.S. Their movie Head was a total flop! You'll know it with only 2 minutes of viewing...

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Head wasn't THAT bad.

    I've always been fond of The Monkees. Especially after I found out that they would have walked off the show if they hadn't been allowed to do their own performances after a few episodes. The whole "let us really sing and play or we're gone" thing really grew my respect for them. :)

    ReplyDelete