Tuesday, March 2, 2010

"Sorry" is Thrown Around Too Much

As kids, our parents do the right thing and teach us to say words like "please," "thank you," and "sorry" whenever appropriate. Not that any of these words are horrible, but a little over a year ago, one of my Israeli friends asked me, "Why do Americans say 'sorry' so much?" I never thought about it before, so I couldn't give a decent answer straight-up. Ever since then, I hear those "sorry's" and understand what he was asking. According to the dictionary, an apology is an "expression of regret" - let's see which of these fall under that:

-I'm working the register and someone is giving me change instead of dollars

-If someone asks to try whatever it is I'm eating - "Can I have some? Sorry..." or simply clarifying a question "Is this mine? Sorry"

-If they fail to open a door for me or keep it open if near it

-I'm offered a ride home, and I hear apologies for their driving (really? I appreciate this more than the bus!)

-Forget my name when they JUST met me... I think its safe to ask again without one, right? We've all been in that same boat and understand, though it does fit the description and is courteous. It also allows them from hurting or offending anyone.

I'm guilty of saying sorry just to say it sometimes, and perchance you are too. So by observation, it seems people feel obligated to say sorry 1) to those they don't know well, i.e. strangers, and 2) when the situation seems rude.

Feel free to comment if you agree/disagree or have any stories

No comments:

Post a Comment