Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Independence Day, America!

My alien parents did a good job of raising me with a culturally open mind. Growing up as first generation in America, I had this sense of loving another country on top of identifying with the one I'm living in. I'm not sure how easy it was for them to assimilate here, as they must have received many glares from citizens when they didn't recite the pledges. To have us kids take part in Thanksgiving, July 4 celebrations, and other American traditions coerced us to feel affiliated and was memorable.

Though I won't be the one to state "America is the best country on Earth," I absolutely love learning American history (and like I state many times, specifically the Civil War) and am glad America gives many immigrants opportunities.

This holiday wasn't much for us besides seeing fireworks behind Great America in a levy a few times, and one year we spent it in New Zealand. I'm working today, but I'll pull out a Statue of Liberty foam headpiece to celebrate while making smoothies for thirsty customers. Have fun at your bbq's, beaches, piers, or whatever you do and have a safe July 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment